Scooting in Norfolk
Scooters and e-bikes help to achieve the city's objective of greater access to first- and last-mile transportation. They provide reliability and ease of access. Anyone can jump on a vehicle and get to a destination in a couple of minutes!
Lime provides bike service and scooter service through the same app, so anyone who wants to rent a bike can find one in the same place as the scooters.
The dashboard shows scooter and e-bike trip data in Norfolk from 2019 to 2023. The data is received directly from Lime and is shown at a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual level. NOTE: Scooter operations began in 2019 and e-bike operations began in 2021.
Tips for Riding Scooters & E-Bikes
Lots of people are out scooting around town. Here are some tips to know before you go!
- Ride responsibly: Use the vehicle or bike lane. Do not ride on sidewalks in downtown!
- Be safe: Follow all traffic laws, ride solo, and place both hands on the handlebars. You must be 18 or older to ride.
- Stay alert: Keep your eyes on the road - watch out for pedestrians and other riders! No texting or selfies while riding.
Tips for Parking Scooters & E-Bikes
In order to avoid vehicle clutter, follow these tips for ending your ride!
- Park in Corrals & Bike Racks: End your ride in one of the designated parking corrals or bike racks. If unavailable, you may park on the sidewalk close to the curb.
- Keep Pedestrian Walkways Clear: Ensure that sidewalks, exit and entrance ramps, and bus stops are clear so those on foot or in a wheelchair can pass by.
- Avoid Parking Garages: Please do not ride or park in any of our downtown parking garages.
Please scoot responsibly, park with care, and remember to slow down, stay alert, & share the road.
We've implemented several parking corrals downtown as designated parking spaces for the Lime scooters and e-bikes (map on right). The locations of these parking corrals can be found in the Lime app and are labeled on the map with a "P."
E-bikes can be locked at public bike racks. Check out this video for a step by step tutorial: https://youtu.be/Qb2s8A1KnRQ
Do not park in front of building entrances, do not block sidewalks, and do not interfere with pedestrian or handicap access.
Reporting an Issue
Major issues such as damaged scooters/e-bikes, improperly parked scooters/e-bikes, and scooters riding on sidewalks can be reported to Lime via several channels – listed on the right sidebar.
Reference the images below for how to submit a concern through the Lime app via the "Safety Center" and "Help" buttons.
Visit our Vision Zero webpage for more information about the program, and click on the safety cards below for tips on how to be safe on our streets!
Scooter & E-Bike Resources
- View the Micromobility (Scooters & Bikes) dataset on the Norfolk Open Data portal