Commissioner of the Revenue
OUR OFFICE WILL BE OPEN FOR DMV SELECT WALK-IN SERVICE ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY ONLY FROM 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM
APPOINTMENTS FOR SERVICE WILL BE NEEDED ON MONDAY,WEDNESDAY and FRIDAY
Customers who have scheduled an appointment and instead decide to walk in for service should cancel that appointment to make it available for other customers. Walk-in service will be provided on a first come first serve basis, customers should anticipate wait times. Please see below for the DMV Select services provided in our office.
DMV Select Services
DMV Select transactions are limited to: Vehicle title, registrations and license plates. Permits and Placards. Address changes. Transcript requests and voter registration applications. The Commissioner of the Revenue cannot remove DMV stops. For all other transactions visit The VA Department of Motor Vehicles.
For APPOINTMENTS email us at CORPP@norfolk.gov
In the email use the subject title APPOINTMENT REQUEST and please include what type of transaction you may need to complete and a daytime phone number so we can contact you to confirm.
Appointments can also be made for Personal Property tax services, which are listed below.
Personal Property transactions are limited to: Move, Sale or Disposal of vehicle or other items. Military/Disabled Vet Exemptions. High Mileage adjustments. Business license and business personal property tax assistance. Walk-ins for just Personal Property tax assistance will be serviced Monday-Friday. The Commissioner of the Revenue does not accept property tax payments.
SAVE TIME..RENEW YOUR BUSINESS LICENSE ONLINE
Visit the portal if you are ready to renew your Business License.
You must have a PIN to file and pay online. Click this link If you need/forgot your PIN. In the email please include your Business Name, Owner name, Last 4 of SSN or FEIN, and account number.
Need help using the portal? Click here for additional guidance.
Click here for some key points about Business License renewal.
Business Licenses will be mailed within two weeks of receipt of payment unless the City Treasurer withholds it for other delinquent taxes or fees.
2021 Monthly Fiduciary Coupons Are Available
To request personalized copies of your 2021 Monthly Fiduciary coupons used for filing Food & Beverage, Admission, Room and Transient Occupancy Tax. Please provide us with your account number, business name, location address and click here to make the request. Let us know if you would like paper copies mailed to you or a PDF version emailed. Blank copies for each type can also be found on our website here: https://www.norfolk.gov/794/Fiduciary-Taxes.
Providing Superior Service and Quality to the Citizens of Norfolk
We are the Chief Assessor for the City of Norfolk. We provide the following services to aid in the continued economic growth of our city:
- Assessment of individual and business personal property
- Issuance and renewal of business licenses
- Administration of all fiduciary taxes
- Provider of DMV Select services- Open by appointment only Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Walk-ins are accepted Tuesday and Thursday only. Hours of operation will be 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Evaluation of customer tax compliance
- Assistance and processing of Virginia State Income Taxes
- Investigation of inquiries and delinquent accounts
- Report the Move, Sale, or Disposal of a Vehicle Online.
- If you have moved out of state you may be required to provide us with a copy of the new registration or title.
- Are you an Active Duty Military Member and a Non-Virginia Resident? Please view the requirements for exemption.
- Simplifying Business - How to Start a Business in the City of Norfolk (PDF).
- Effective January 1, 2016, an opportunity for a BPOL tax exemption (PDF) may exist for new businesses that locate in Norfolk.