Special Event Business License
Anyone participating in commercial activity during a Special Event is required to apply for and obtain a Special Event Business License. A special event constitutes a separate business activity outside of a regular course of business and is usually of an entertainment, educational or lifestyle enrichment purpose. Established businesses in the City of Norfolk cannot use their existing license for participation in a special events.
The license will be valid for participation in other special events throughout the City of Norfolk. Each vendor should contact the event organizer directly with questions on how to vend at the specified event. Once the vendor has completed the organizers process, they must then obtain a special event business license. Each license will be categorized as a food or non-food vendor.
Various organizations and City departments sponsor special events or provide support to event organizers. Please contact the following for information such as event locations, dates and organizer information.
- Seven Venues, (757) 664-6880 www.norfolk.gov/sevenvenues
- Festevents, (757) 441-2345 www.festevents.org
- Downtown Norfolk Council, (757) 623-1757 www.downtownnorfolk.org
To participate in special events in the City of Norfolk, the following are required:
- Treasurer Approval Norfolk City Code Section 24-25.10
- Special Event Business License Application
- Applications are required yearly / Cost: $50
How to Apply:
- Complete the Special Event Business License Application, in the Applications link below, to participate in any events within the City of Norfolk.
- Once completed a request will be sent to the Norfolk City Treasurer for an approval certificate which indicates that all delinquent taxes you or your company may owe to the city are paid in full.
- After all the requirements have been satisfied, you will receive notification and instructions on how to proceed with remitting payment and receiving your business license.
Applications Accepted Via:
- Online: Special Event Business License Application
- In-Person/USPS/Drop Box: 810 Union Street, Norfolk, VA 23510
Make checks/money orders payable to: Norfolk City Treasurer
To ensure business licenses are in hand the day of the event, all applications must be submitted, and payments received 4 business days prior to the scheduled event.
- If a business charges a fee for entertainment and/or amusement, that business is required to collect and remit a 10% admissions tax due to the City of Norfolk.
- If a business sells prepared foods, they are required to collect and remit the 6.5% meal tax which is due to the City of Norfolk.
- All admission taxes and meal taxes are due on the 20th of the month following the month in which the event took place.
- Please read the and use the Vendor Information Sheet (this is an excel document you will need to download and save) when submitting a vendor list to the Commissioner of the Revenue.