Callers with Special Needs
Deaf / Hard of Hearing In Need of Assistance
When someone who is deaf/hard of hearing calls into our center through TTY, whether it be through 911 or through a direct line, our new high-tech phone system is equipped with TTY and prompts our Telecommunicators of incoming TTY calls.
You can help us help you by telling the call taker:
- The location where help is needed.
- What is needed and provide your name, phone number.
- If it is safe, stay on the telephone to answer the call taker's questions.
We also take calls through the "Virginia Relay" Services. We are unable to take text messaging through our 911 system at this time.
Families with Special Needs
The Computer Aided Dispatch system utilized by the Telecommunicators to dispatch calls for service has the capability to store information specific to an address. This provides information that may be disseminated in accordance to HIPPA to the responding units either via the radio or across the mobile data computers. This information may include special needs, such as medical necessities.
Special Needs Registry
The Special Needs Registry is a program to help us plan for all citizens of Norfolk. This registry is both voluntary and confidential and will be used by emergency management while planning for disasters and during disasters, to better assist those with medical or special needs. Registrants include those who may be elderly, disabled, incapacitated due to illness or injury, or live alone.
Updating the Registry
The Office of Emergency Management plans to update the Special Needs registry at least once a year, by phone. We want to make sure we are sending help to the right location when there is an approaching hurricane or major storm. If we cannot get a hold of you, we could possibly send out our neighborhood CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams) members from your own neighborhood to knock on your door to see if everything is ok. They will be wearing green CERT vest and have a picture ID.
Additional Information about the Special Needs Registry
- Contains the names and addresses of individuals with medical needs or health conditions who cannot manage independently in a general shelter or evacuation center in an emergency.
- It may be used for any emergency requiring evacuation such as floods, hurricanes, hazardous material spills, and gas leaks.
- Is voluntary and all information collected will be kept confidential and stored on secure servers.