General Set-Out Rules
Out of an abundance of caution, the Department of Public Works’ Division of Waste Management has modified Bulk Waste Pickup in response to COVID-19:
- The initial bulk waste schedule will be modified, and collections limited. Pickup could be delayed.
- Residents must schedule all bulk waste pickups using the MyNorfolk online portal, mobile app or call Norfolk Cares at 664-6510. Collection will take place on the resident’s normal trash collection day.
- Any scheduled pickups not collected, will be picked up the following week. If possible, remove items from the curb that were not collected.
- Residents who set out bulk waste that has not been scheduled may receive a Notice of Violation
Bulk Waste Collection
Review the following bulk waste collection rules:
- Items may be taken to the curb beginning at 5 p.m. the day before collection and no later than 7 a.m. the day of collection.
- Items must not be blocked by vehicles, trees, poles, mailboxes, fences or low hanging overhead wires.
- Collection of bulk waste shall be limited to twelve (12) bulk waste per year and cannot exceed three (3) cubic yards per collections; special collections can be scheduled at Bulky Item Pick Up request (fees associated).
- Collection of non-commercial sized tires shall be limited to four (4) tires per collection day and twelve (12) tires per year.
- Hazardous waste or dangerous item(s) are prohibited. (link to hazardous waste collection)
- Yard waste(trees/limbs) in excess of six (6) inches in diameter, four (4) feet in length must be scheduled for collection.
- Appliances must be free of trash/debris.
- Lawn services and contractors are responsible for removing yard waste generated
- Bulk waste must be called in to 757-664-6510, submitted via email, or online via MyNorfolk by 3 p.m. the day prior to collection.
Review the following garbage collection rules:
- Container must be placed out before 5:00 p.m. on the night prior to the day of collection and removed from curb by 11:30 p.m. on the day of collection.
- All household waste inside of the container must be bagged with cart lids closed.
- Overflow garbage/trash must be scheduled for collection and should be placed outside of the container. Request a Bulky Item Pick Up Request.
- Containers must be placed with bar facing the street, wheels facing the residence, and handle toward home/building or away from street.
- Containers must be placed six (6) feet from vehicles, poles and other obstructions.
- Container must be city issued and stored five (5) feet behind the building line or screened from view.
- Yard waste is collected on the same day as regular trash collection.
- Yard waste must be in clear plastic bags or properly cut, tied, and bundled (four (4) feet in length).
- Up to twenty (20) clear bags (weighing no more than forty-five (45) pounds) or twenty (20) bundles of yard waste (not to exceed three (3) cubic feet) is accepted per collection.
- Yard waste must not be contaminated with other debris.
- All service issues must be reported within twenty-four (24) hours, following collection day.
Review the following curbside recycling collection rules:
- Collection occurs every other week on the same day as trash collection.
- Cardboard placed outside of the container for collection must be flattened, tied, or scheduled.
- See the complete list of accepted items.
- Review the Curbside Recycling / Trash Collection Schedule or our recycling drop off locations.
Request an additional trash receptacle or trash receptacle repair via MyNorfolk.