To view and print the following files, you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader installed.
- Application for Backflow Device Tester Class (PDF)
- Backflow Device Testers License Renewal Application (PDF)
- Backflow Prevention Device Test Report (PDF)
- *New* Backflow Prevention Device Online Test Report
- Certified Local Testing Companies (PDF)
- How to Protect Your Plumbing System (PDF)
This is a 16-hour class designed to certify the attendee in backflow preventer assembly testing. Classes are tentatively scheduled March through September every other month, 10 people minimum for the class. The time is 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. Classes will resume in early Spring 2020.
All applications must be filled out in black or blue ink.
Prerequisite Items for Class Enrollment
Attendee must be:
- A licensed Master Plumber or person working under the supervision of a Master Plumber, bring a copy of your DPOR contractor’s license, a copy of the Master Plumber’s license and your current City business licenses for verification
- A full-time employee of a Fire Sprinkler company, bring a copy of your DPOR contractor’s license and your current City business licenses for verification
- A full-time employee of a Lawn Irrigation company, bring a copy of your DPOR contractor’s license and your current City business licenses for verification
- A full-time Federal, State, City, or County employee directly involved with the installation, repair, maintenance or testing of backflow preventers
- Other special circumstance where a backflow preventer testers license would be required, provide a written request to the Cross Connection Control Officer detailing the special circumstances.
There is a written and practical exam to determine satisfactory completion.
Cost is $100 cash, or check or money order made payable to City of Norfolk Treasurer, paid prior to the beginning of class, mail all applications and monies to the office of Cross Connections
6040 Waterworks Road
Norfolk, VA 23502
Passing attendees shall receive a Certificate and a Limited or General license.
What to Bring
Attendee must bring to class:
- Documents noted above (documents can be faxed or emailed in advance)
- A backflow preventer test kit (all backflow preventer test kits must have been calibrated within the last year. A copy of the calibration certificate will be collected in class.)
For more information contact the Cross Connections Office at 757-441-5774, ext. 299. Classes are held at the Moore’s Bridges Water Treatment Facility