This Resource Library is a compilation of neighborhood documents, along with other selected capacity building and outreach materials. There are three sections.
New Neighborhood Profile Tool.
A Neighborhood Profile Tool is available to accompany the Norfolk’s Wonderful Neighborhoods - Free Profile Tools video on YouTube.
Community Building Resources
Social interactions are critical to building a strong community. Good neighbors know and are friendly to each other. The more often a neighborhood gets together for fun, the more unified they will be when issues arise.
- Tools and Safety Tips for Virtual Engagement
- Parliamentary Procedure for Civic Leagues (PDF)
- Notes from Bylaws Course (PDF)
- Good Financial Management and Fundraising Notes (PDF)
- Becoming a 501(c)4 or 501(c)3 Presentation (PDF)
- Good Neighbor Guide (PDF)
- Creating a Neighborhood Communications Plan (PDF)
- Curb Appeal Booklet (PDF)
- Neighbors Building Neighborhoods Booklet (PDF)
- Recruiting and Retaining Resident Volunteers (PDF)
Neighborhood standards are the voluntary appearance & behavioral characteristics for which a group of neighbors strive.
- Common Code Violations brochure (PDF)
- Olde Huntersville Community Standards door hanger (PDF)
- East Ocean View Yard of the Month newsletter promotion (PDF)
- Fairmount Park Welcome Pack, Grass and Nuisance Reminders (2010) (PDF)
- Ballentine Welcome Post-card (PDF)
- Funny Embrace Your Neighborhood Video from Durham
- Marketing Your Neighborhood - Center for Community Progress
- Other neighborhoods across Norfolk make welcome packets.
- Have additional good ideas or examples? Email them to Jim Herbst
Housing and Real Estate
- Working with Developers 5 Minute Video
- Working with Developers Tip Sheet for Neighborhood Organizations (PDF)
- Norfolk Cottage and Ranch Plan Book
- Norfolk Narrow Lot House Plan Catalog
- Pattern Book for Norfolk Neighborhoods
- Home Maintenance Guide (PDF)