Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Grant Program

If you own a building that has repetitively sustained flooding damage, the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) may offer opportunities to break the damage cycle. Funding may be available to assist properties in acquisition/demolition or floodproofing projects.

Please note: Individuals cannot apply directly to FEMA for funding. The city may submit application materials to the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) on behalf of a property owner. VDEM will determine if a project is cost-effective and apply to FEMA for grant funding consideration.


To apply for funding under the HMA programs the following is required:

  • Current Flood Elevation Certificate (preferably less than 2 years old)
  • Flood Claim History (obtained by calling the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at 866-395-7496)
  • Photos of flooding and flood damage (interior/exterior)
  • Photos of outbuildings and additional structures
  • Proof of Flood Insurance with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
  • Property Photos - (4) Front, Back, and both sides
  • Statement of loss for any claim not reflected on the Flood Claim History

Helpful Links