Admissions / Intake

Accessing Mental Health & Substance Use Services in the City of Norfolk

Who We Serve: 

We serve residents of the City of Norfolk, ages 18 and older, who are diagnosed with a serious mental illness (SMI) and/or substance use disorders. 


Intakes for Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities can be accessed by calling 757-756-5600, Option 5.  Intakes for Children's Mental Health are accessed by calling 757-823-1630 or 757-756-5600, Option 8.


Please know that the Adult Intake Department is separate from the Housing and Homeless Department which can be accessed by dialing 757-756-5600 option #4. You can also call the Hampton Roads Housing Crisis Hotline number at 757-587-4202 for assistance. 


How to Access Services:  

If you have any questions, or wish to make an appointment, please give us a call at 757-756-5619 or 757-756-5600, Option 1. Please understand that we do not provide assessments or drug/alcohol screenings for people who are not also seeking other services with us. 


While appointments are preferred, as it guarantees you time with our licensed mental health providers, you may also access these services Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 12 noon on a walk-in basis. Intake assessments are completed at 7447 Central Business Park Drive, Norfolk, VA 23513.


If found eligible for our services, you will meet with a licensed mental health provider with whom you will complete an assessment and receive a referral to the appropriate programs.  You will not meet with a prescriber or receive medication on your initial visit. Please plan for your appointment to last at least two and a half hours.   


Services Available:  

Specific services are based on availability and eligibility. They may include: 

  • Outpatient Substance Use Treatment 

  • Psychiatric Medication Management 

  • Outpatient Mental Health Counseling 

  • Care-Coordination 

  • Case-Management 

  • Skill-Building Services 

  • Peer Recovery Support Services 


Once you are enrolled in a service program, you may be eligible for: 

  • Supportive Housing (Limited Eligibility) 

  • Employment Support 

  • Benefits Acquisition 


If you are in need of services that we are unable to provide, our care coordinators will assist you with referrals to other resources in the community and explain how to access information on low-cost programs or programs that are available with insurance. 



Ware dedicated to providing services to you in a way that is affordable for you, and we can provide a payment plan so you can still access care if you are unable to pay. You will not be turned away for services due to an inability to pay and we will work with you to make your treatment affordable. 



We accept Medicaid/Medicare plans.  If you don't have health insurance and you reside in Norfolk, you may be eligible for a reduced fee based on your income and family size.  We will also assist you in applying for Virginia Medicaid if you do not have insurance and think you may be eligible. 


What to Bring:   

Picture Identification such as: 

  • Department of Motor Vehicles issued identification 

  • Employer identification 

  • Military identification 

  • Passport 

  • Student identification 


List of All Current Medications or Medication Bottles (If Applicable) 


Insurance Card(s) 


Verification of your Social Security Number such as: 

  • Social Security Card 

  • Internal Revenue Service Tax Return 

  • W-2 Form 

  • Social Security Award Letter 


Proof of Norfolk Residency such as: 

  • Current Mortgage Statement 

  • Current Residential Lease 

  • Current Vehicle Registration 

  • Utility Bill 

  • If you do not have your own housing, please bring a letter from the person you are staying with that states that you are staying with them, and whether or not you are paying any rent or providing any support to the household. We will need a piece of mail or something that shows their name and address also. 

  • If you are homeless, we will offer you a self-declaration form that states that you are homeless and living in Norfolk. 


Proof of Income such as: 

  • W-2 Form 

  • Last Two Pay Stubs 

  • Social Security Award Letter  

  • Internal Revenue Service Tax Return 

  • W-2 Form 

  • Social Security Award Letter 

  • If you have a Representative Payee, please provide us with that information.   

  • If unemployed, please provide a Verification of Unemployment (W-6 Form) so you can qualify for the reduced fees. You can access the W-6 form for free from the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) at 861 Glenrock Rd, Suite 100, Norfolk VA 23502, Telephone (757)461-7537. 


We understand that you may not have all of these documents today. We will work with you to acquire the documentation needed for full enrollment. Bring anything that you have that may reference the information above to help us help you get started.  


Are You or a Loved One in Crisis? 

If you are experiencing a psychiatric emergency, please contact the Norfolk Community Services Board Emergency Services by calling 757-664-7690. 


If your situation is life-threatening, please call 911. 



Contact Us: 

Adult Intake Department 

7447 Central Business Park Drive 

Norfolk, VA 23513 

Fax: 757-904-1603 

Phone: 757-756-5600 option 1