Applications for employment are accepted online through Government Jobs, the City's online employment application system.
To apply for or view our current vacancies, please click on the link below to perform a job search.
The search function allows you to view employment opportunities by category or by department name.
New employment opportunities are posted daily, and applications are only accepted for advertised positions through the established deadline.
Positions listed for continuous recruitment can be closed at any time.
For your convenience, our application system allows you to cut and paste your information into the City's official employment application. You can track the progress of your application, see the current status for the position(s) for which you have applied and update your application online. Applications cannot be changed after they are submitted.
If you need assistance with the application process or if you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com or call 757-664-4486.
Screening and Selection Process
The screening and selection process for your application will begin following the closing date of the position unless the position is open for continuous recruitment. Should review of your qualifications result in an interview, you will be contacted.
Please keep in mind the length of the recruitment process will vary based upon the needs of the hiring department. In addition, it may take several weeks before applicants are contacted for interviews.
To remain up to date with the status of your application and the recruitment, you are encouraged to check your NeoGov account often. Once the position has been filled, the system will be updated to reflect this information. If you have questions regarding the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Your application may or may not go through all the following steps:
- Application Received: This step confirms that your application has been received by the Department of Human Resources. No further action is required on your part to receive consideration for this announcement.
- Review of Supplemental Questions: A review of your responses to the supplemental questions submitted when you applied for the position is being conducted by the Department of Human Resources.
- Review of Training and Experience: A detailed review of your application is being conducted by the Department of Human Resources to determine if your education, experience and trainings meet the requirements of the position and the preferred qualifications of the Hiring Manager.
- Department Review: Your application has been reviewed and submitted to the hiring department for a more in-depth review.
- Eligible: Your application has been placed on a list with other applicants who are eligible to be interviewed by the hiring department. If selected for an interview, someone from the department will contact you directly to discuss the next steps.
- No longer considered: After an initial screening of applications, you are no longer being considered for this position.
- Position Filled and Closed: The position that you have applied for has been offered and accepted by another candidate and the position is now filled.
- Recruitment Canceled: The position that you have applied for is no longer available for recruitment or will be re-advertised at a later date.