Parking Meter Tips
- Metered parking is free after 6 p.m. Monday through Saturdays and all day on Sundays (after 8 p.m. at ODU Village meters).
- Metered parking is available to those with a valid handicap permit for the time limit posted.
- Meters have a two-hour time limit, with the exception of Waterside meters (15 minutes.). Patrons are encouraged to utilize one of the city's parking garages or lots if their stay will be longer than two hours.
- A bagged meter indicates a space that has been closed by order of the police or that has been rented, usually by a contractor working in the area. If you park at a bagged meter, your vehicle is subject to being towed.
- For commercial rental of meters, contact the Parking Division at 757-664-6222.
- Please report malfunctioning meters to the Parking Division at 757-664-6222.
- Meters located downtown are enforced Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Meters located at ODU Village are enforced Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
To report a malfunctioning meter, call 757-664-6222. In order for us to better assist you, please note the following information:
- Time of Problem
- Meter Number
- Location of meter (block number, name of street and side street)
- Type of problem (Take note of what happened or did not happen when you deposited coins in the meter. What coins did you use - quarters, nickels or dimes? How much time did you receive for each coin?)
- You may also be asked for your license plate number and a phone number we can contact you at