This program helps low-income households with their urgent heating needs, such as:
- Buying fuel for heating
- Paying energy bills
Applications are accepted from the 2nd Tuesday in October to the 2nd Friday in November.
Crisis Assistance benefits apply to heating emergencies, such as:
- Connection or re-connection fees
- Imminent utility cut-off
- Inoperable or unsafe heating equipment
- Lack of heat
Applications are accepted from November 1 to March 15 for:
- Heating equipment repair or replacement
- Heating equipment - supplemental (example: fuel tanks)
- Security deposit (primary heat expense)
Applications are accepted from the 1st workday in January to March 15 for:
- Heating fuel (primary)
- Utility bills (primary heat expense)
This program helps low-income households with payment of:
- The electric bill to operate cooling equipment
- Repair or replacement of cooling equipment
Applications are accepted from June 15 to August 15.
The maximum monthly gross income for a one-person household cannot exceed $1,354. For a household of four, the maximum monthly gross income is $2,790.
For more information or to obtain an application, call 757-664-6035 or apply online.
Additional information about the Energy Assistance Program is available at Virginia Department of Social Services.