Permits and Inspections
Please direct questions to the Development Services Center at 757-664-6565.
The Development Services Center will no longer be providing in-person processing of permits and payments.
Submit Building, Fire, Sign, Elevator permits to firstname.lastname@example.org
All Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing permits are applied for and issued online using our E-Permit Portal at norfolkvapermits.force.com
Site plans and planning applications must be bundled together in a single PDF to email@example.com.
The Development Services Center is no longer providing in-person processing of permits and payments.
- Building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, elevator, and sign permits
- Residential and commercial plan review
- Water and sewer taps
- Business license zoning review
- Answers to additional zoning, right-of-way, and environmental services questions and more!
All Permits will be filed electronically.
What do I need to have to obtain a building permit?To apply for a building permit, you will need:
- All pertinent plans and permit applications completed;
- Your contractor’s license;
- Your contractor authorization form that lists the people allowed to pull permits for your company; and
- Contact email address for your company and authorized personnel.
- All of this will be required to be in a digital format. This will be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I apply for a trade (Electrical, Mechanical, & Plumbing) permit? To apply for trade (electrical, mechanical, & plumbing) permits, you will need:
How do I request inspections for my permit?
Inspections can be requested using the online portal, with a computer or smart device, at www.norfolk.gov/inspections. Enter your permit number and PIN to find inspections that are available to request. Permit Number (ex. B12-3456) PIN Number (ex. IR-12345)
How do I get inspection results?
Inspection results are emailed to up to three registered email addresses, designated by the permit applicant.
Who can I contact if I have any questions?
For questions, please call 757-664-6565 for assistance. Questions can also be sent to email@example.com.