Norfolk Youth Council
About the Youth Council
The Norfolk Youth Council (NYC) was established by Parks & Recreation to provide students with a platform to elevate the youth voice on issues directly affecting young people in the community.
The Youth Council is comprised of high school students who reside in the City of Norfolk and attend public, private, and home-based schools.
The Youth Council represents and serves as a voice for Norfolk youth. Students who serve on the Youth Council meet once a month to discuss and provide a youth perspective on city-wide issues that are important to them. The program empowers young people to engage with elected officials and decision-makers to advocate for the needs of the city’s youth.
The program provides young emerging leaders opportunities to learn about local government, develop leadership skills, and creates the space for young people to share their ideas to make a meaningful difference in the community.
The Youth Council hosts activities for youth by youth throughout the year. Members plan and implement youth-led social, educational, cultural, recreational, volunteer, and other activities for the youth and community.
2023 - 2024 Norfolk Youth Council Members
|Laniyah Grimes - Chairperson
|Montonio Flowers - Member
|Kamryn Gallop - Vice Chairperson
|Zyen-Isis Floyd - Member
|Morgan Elliott - Parliamentarian
|Layla Gray - Member
|Authrah Al-Fetlawi - Publicity & Marketing Coordinator
|Emma Horton - Member
|Jushauna Tyler - Event Coordinator
|Aniya Hicks - Member
|Howrah Al- Fetlawi - Member
|Keegan MckInney - Member
|Akeelah Anderson - Member
|Ta'Landus Shelton - Member
|Sanaia Baiely - Member
|Legend Wilson - Member
|Asher Barnes - Member
|Avi Yashaev - Member
|Jasmine Brown - Member
|Kevin Elliot - Member
Youth Council Benefits:
• Be a voice for the youth of Norfolk.
• Give back to the community.
• Learn about local government.
• Develop leadership skills.
• Build a resume, fulfill high school volunteer requirements, and earn community service hours for college scholarship applications.
• Interact with peers, meet new people, and have fun.
Youth Council Requirements
• Members must be a resident of the City of Norfolk and remain a resident throughout his or her term.
• Members must be in 8th – 12th grade students enrolled in a public, private, or home-school program within the City of Norfolk.
• Members must have and maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
• Attend regular meetings held once a month and participate in activities, projects, and special events throughout the year.
• Commit to serve a one (1) year term.
• Maintain good citizenship, be in good academic standing, and free of any serious disciplinary infractions within the last six months.
• Demonstrate an interest in making a difference in the community and a willingness to serve the youth of the City of Norfolk.
How Do I Apply?
•The application can be found here.
• Parent or legal guardian must sign and submit a consent form giving permission to participate in the Norfolk Youth Council (if you are under 18).
• Attach a letter of recommendation from an adult such as a teacher, school administrator, counselor, youth group leader, employer, pastor, community leader, or coach.
• Attach a copy of your most recent report card.
For more information on the Norfolk Youth Council, please contact Natasha Monroe, Recreation Specialist, at (757) 823-4269 or by email Natasha.Monroe@norfolk.gov.