- Departments A to M
- Communications and Marketing
- Film Permit Requests
Film Permit Requests
The City's Film Coordinator, with the authority of the City Manager, coordinates the processing of all permit applications and arrangements for the provision of City services and personnel required by filming activities and/or requested by filming activity permittees.
Applications, on a form provided by the City Manager, are to be filed with the Film Coordinator at least 14 days prior to the intended commencement of filming activities. This period may be shortened if, in the discretion of the Film Coordinator, the desired filming activities are limited in scope or location, and the application can be processed within a shorter time period.
Persons desiring to engage in filming activities on or in streets, parks or other public places are required to have a permit issued by the City Manager, except that a permit shall not be required for news coverage of contemporaneous events.
Although every reasonable attempt will be made to accommodate reasonable filming requests, there are certain conditions that will preclude the issuance of a permit. These include:
- When the filming activities will substantially interrupt the safe and orderly movement of traffic contiguous to the filming site, or in or through the public place used for desired filming activities, and public traffic needs cannot be accommodated reasonably by temporary re-routing; and/or
- When its size or the nature of the filming activities will require the diversion of so great a number of police officers and/or other personnel of the City to properly police the film site or provide other services that normal required police or City obligations are impaired; and/or
- When the concentration of persons and vehicles at the filming site and surrounding areas will unduly interfere with proper fire and police protection of, or ambulance service to, locations contiguous to such areas.
- When the filming will interfere with the movement of firefighting equipment en route to a fire.
A non-refundable application processing fee of $100.00 must accompany each application, except that applicants whose principal place of business is in Norfolk shall pay a $50 fee. This fee is not required of students or nonprofit entities.
The Norfolk Convention and Visitor's Bureau will provide location assistance at no charge to film companies considering filming in Norfolk or the Greater Hampton Roads area.
Requests for Assistance
Requests for assistance should be directed to:
Email Melinda Luchun
City of Norfolk
Marketing and Communications
810 Union Street
Norfolk, VA 23510