Streets & Bridges
Streets and Bridges is responsible for routine repair and emergency maintenance of approximately 2,200 lane-miles of streets, 50 bridges and over 1,225 miles of curb line. We do this to ensure the health and safety for all residents and visitors.
Streets & Bridges is responsible for daily maintenance, repairs, enhancements along Norfolk’s roadways:
- Bridge Structures Maintenance of 50 bridge structures, such as bridges, underpasses, overpasses
- Bulkheads Waterfront Structures that include several seawalls, bulkheads, and 34 jetties
- Curb Lines: Norfolk has over 1,225 miles of curbs throughout the City which are the responsibility of this Division
- Customer Service and Administrative Operations: The Division prides itself on its administrative support to not only City/Divisional employees but also Norfolk residents as well.
- Graffiti Removal: In order to maintain the aesthetics of Norfolk. Public Works Operations attempts to remove any reported graffiti from roadways, sidewalks and bridges in a timely professional manner.
- Sidewalks and Repairs: Norfolk has over 968 miles of sidewalks which require maintenance and grading of shoulders and medians; including handicap/ADA ramps
- Snow and Ice Removal and Control: Priority is typically given to the arterial roadways because of their volume of traffic and city-wide access. Snow removal and control always depends on current conditions and safety. Fire, rescue and police stations locations are expedited if possible as well as hospital entrances.
- Street Repair and Maintenance: The division is responsible for over 2,186 lane miles of City roadways. This includes pothole repairs.
Field Engineering is responsible for contract management, capital improvement projects, and Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) revenue share projects:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Sidewalk Curb Ramps
- Bridge Improvements