Office of Elections
The Office of Elections is responsible for protecting the integrity of the electoral process in the City of Norfolk through maintaining accurate voter records and efficient administration of elections in accordance with state and federal election laws. We are committed to being an information resource for the citizens of Norfolk regarding elected officials, voter registration, and election services.
January 25th is National Poll Worker Recruitment Day. For information on becoming a Poll Worker/Officer of Election, click here. Show your civic duty by signing up to become a Poll Worker/Officer of Election here.
We encourage citizens to register to vote, update voter registration information, or request an absentee ballot ONLINE.
- Effective July 1, 2020 you may request an absentee ballot without an excuse. Click here to apply online for an absentee ballot.
- Effective July 1, 2021 all voters on the Annual Absentee List will be converted to the Permanent Absentee List and receive ballots for all future elections (to include Primary Elections if a party preference is indicated). Voters may opt out of future absentee ballots by completing and submitting the attached notice to the Registrar's office.
- Check here for the list of upcoming elections
- Did you receive a postcard requesting to call the Registrar to verify your registration is still active? Check your voter registration online
Polls are open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Election Day
Restoration of Voting Rights
- Check for Restoration of Voting Rights. If you have questions about rights restoration contact the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s Office at 804-692-0104
Voting Guidelines & Resources
- Election Information
- Receive a notice from the Voter Participation Center (VPC) or Center for Voter Information (CVI) indicating you are not registered to vote (PDF)
- Access to Online Third-Party Voter Registration Training (Revised July 1, 2021)
- Guidelines for Conducting Voter Registration Drives (PDF)
- Guidelines for Authorized Observers (PDF)
- Information for Norfolk State University Students
- Information for Old Dominion University Students (PDF)