What documentation do I need to put up a shed or fence?
A zoning certificate is required for any storage shed 256 square feet or less and any fences located on a corner lot. Please bring two copies of the land survey with you in order to obtain the Zoning Certificate.

Please note that if the shed is greater than 256 square feet or if the fence is taller than 6 feet, a building permit is required.

In addition, all fences located within a historic district are required to receive a Certificate of Appropriateness by going through the Architectural Review process.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a Building Permit?
2. When is a permit not required?
3. What documentation do I need to obtain a Building Permit?
4. Who should apply for a building permit the property owner or the contractor?
5. How long does residential plan review take?
6. How can I submit plans for review for permits?
7. How long does commercial plan review take?
8. What documentation is required for a tent?
9. What documentation is required for a pier, bulkhead, and/or rip-rap?
10. What documentation do I need to put up a shed or fence?
11. What is a zoning certificate?
12. What are the typical setbacks for residential properties?
13. Where can a fence go on a residential corner lot?
14. What is required for Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical or Elevator Permits?
15. What type of permit is required for a gas line?
16. What is required for a Certificate of Occupancy?
17. How do I get historical information about permits on a property that I am interested in buying or just bought?
18. How do I request an inspection?
19. How do I get inspection results?
20. How much does a permit cost?