Come Home to Norfolk

Mar 20

[ARCHIVED] Team Norfolk March 2018 Nor'Easter Update 3-20-18 at 5pm

The original item was published from March 20, 2018 5:06 PM to May 19, 2022 11:13 AM


The National Weather Service has issued a Decision Support Briefing which can be viewed here.

As you’ll see, Norfolk is under a Coastal Flood Advisory.  The latest Tides graph shows tonight’s 12:16am high tide peaking at 5’, which is well within the minor flood range.  The next two high tides after that, 12:42pm Wednesday and 1:04am Thursday morning, are also in the minor flood range and will result in coastal flooding.  As a result, both the Nauticus flood gate and the Mason Creek flood gates are currently closed.

The hourly graph shows rain going into tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon, which should transition to a wintry mix by 2pm and just snowfall after 4pm.  The 0-72 Hour Expected Snowfall suggests any snowfall in the Norfolk area will be minimal at best; according to the Probabilistic Snowfall Forecast page there is a 10% chance Norfolk could see 2” of snow and 90% chance we’ll receive less than an inch.

While the temperatures will remain above freezing, the wind chill does not.  Wind chill in the mid-20’s increased winds wet ground = Warming Overflow Warning (WOW).  The WOW team will make the necessary preparations to augment NEST sheltering for our residents experiencing homelessness.

Please contact us with any questions you may have.  Next NWS update should be tomorrow around 8am.



Jim Redick
Director, Norfolk EOC