Attention echeck customers! We are experiencing a technical issue with the payment portal. We are working with the vendor to correct it. You will receive a 5-day grace period on your payment due date. We apologize for the inconvenience.
PLEASE NOTE: DMV Stops will automatically be removed within 3 business days of payment in full.
Norfolk City Treasurer
The Treasurer's office will re-open by appointment only on Thursday, November 12, 2020.
The Treasurer's office will continue to conduct business by phone (757-664-7800) and email from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Due to high call volume, please leave a message that includes your name and number and your call will be returned as soon as possible. A return call from City Hall will show as a Virginia Beach call. The Cox phone switch is based in Virginia Beach.
DMV SELECT in City Hall REMAINS CLOSED
For faster service, email us at:
- CT-REINQUIRY@norfolk.gov – Real Estate
- CT-PERSONALPROPERTY@norfolk.gov – Personal Property
- CT-BUSINESSPPINQUIRY@norfolk.gov - Business
- CT-PORTALQUESTIONS@norfolk.gov – General Questions
Please include FULL NAME, Account #, ADDRESS, last four of your social security number, and any details so that we may respond to your request.
To request an appointment, please use the link for Appointment Request here, or call 757-664-7821.
Active duty military requesting a waiver because your home state is not Virginia must email copies of your LES or W2 for the years you have resided in Virginia – send your information to CORWEBINQ@norfolk.gov. The Commissioner of Revenue reviews assessments.
Due Dates for Payments of Certain Taxes:
Tax revenue is important to the City of Norfolk to be able to provide much needed services, especially in this time of economic turmoil when services are in greater demand. Timely payment will assist the City to keep these vital services operational.
The due date for 2nd quarter real estate taxes is December 5, 2020.
The due date for supplemental personal property taxes is December 5, 2020.
The due date for delinquent personal property taxes was September 30, 2020.
Waivers of convenience fees and delay of penalty and interest ended August 1, 2020.
Business tax filings are due by the 20th of each month. Businesses must file monthly.
To make payments for personal property and/or real estate tax, business licenses, or fiduciary taxes, the following options are available when paying the total bill:
|Mail: Norfolk City Treasurer, P.O. Box 3215, Norfolk, VA 23514-3215|
Have your account number and make sure you are using the zip code attached to the account.
DMV Stops will automatically be removed within 3 business days of payment in full.
Treasurer Drop Box Location
|810 Union Street, Norfolk, VA 23510 - Parking Circle|
|Checks/Money Orders Only|
About the Office
The Office of the Treasurer was established in 1869 by the Constitution of Virginia. The Treasurer is an elected official and serves a term of four years. Responsibilities and duties encompass all activities related to the receipt and collection of revenue, the safekeeping and investment of revenue, and an accurate accounting for and the disbursement of revenue.
Responsibilities & Goals
The legal authority for the Treasurer's duties and responsibilities is governed by the Constitution of Virginia, the Code of Virginia, Local Ordinances and charter provisions, case law, court decisions and opinions of the Attorney General.
It is our goal to provide an efficient and professional approach in serving the citizens of Norfolk, while maintaining an attitude of respect and understanding. You will receive prompt and courteous information and assistance. We are committed to strive for excellence.
- Questions concerning Real Estate Assessments may be directed to the Office of the Real Estate Assessor at 757-664-4732.
- Questions concerning Real Estate Tax Relief may be directed to the Department of Human Services at 757-823-1130.
- Questions concerning Personal Property Assessments may be directed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue at 757-664-7884.
- Questions concerning Business Tangible Personal Property Assessments, Admissions Tax, Lodging Tax, Short Term Rental Tax, and Meals Tax may be directed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue at 757-664-7886.
- Questions concerning Business and Professional Licenses may be directed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue at 757-664-7886.
- Questions concerning filing requirements and preparation of State Income Tax may be directed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue at 757-664-7885.