Norfolk City Treasurer
Our office is closed to the public.
Our office will be conducting business by phone and email from 8:30am to 4:45pm, Monday through Friday. Due to high call volume, please leave a message and your call will be returned. 757-664-7800. A return call from City Hall will show as a Virginia Beach call. The Cox phone switch is based in Virginia Beach.
For faster service, email us at:
- CT-REINQUIRY@norfolk.gov – Real Estate
- CT-PERSONALPROPERTY@norfolk.gov – Personal Property
- CT-BUSINESSPPINQUIRY@norfolk.gov - Business
- CT-PORTALQUESTIONS@norfolk.gov – General Questions
Please include FULL NAME, Account #, ADDRESS, last four of your social security number and any details so that we may respond to your request.
Active duty military requesting a waiver because your home state is not Virginia must email copies of your LES or W2 for the years you have resided in Virginia – send your information to CORWEBINQ@norfolk.gov. The Commissioner of Revenue reviews assessments.
Due Dates for Payments of Certain Taxes:
Tax revenue is important to the City of Norfolk to be able to provide much needed services, especially in this time of economic turmoil when services are in greater demand. Timely payment will assist the City to keep these vital services operational.
The due date for 1st quarter real estate taxes is September 30, 2020.
The due date for delinquent personal property taxes is September 30, 2020.
Waivers of convenience fees and delay of penalty and interest ended August 1, 2020.
Business tax filings are due by the 20th of each month. Businesses must file monthly.
To make payments for personal property and/or real estate tax, business licenses, or fiduciary taxes, the following options are available:
|Mail: Norfolk City Treasurer, P.O. Box 3215, Norfolk, VA 23514-3215|
Have your account number and make sure you are using the zip code attached to the account.
Allow 3 days for DMV stops to be removed.
Utility Drop Box Locations – Checks/Money Orders Only
Taxpayers can put their payments in any of the drop box locations below:
|Berkley Neighborhood Service Center|
925 South Main Street
Norfolk, VA 23523
|Fishermans Road Fire Station|
1425 Fishermans Road
Norfolk, VA 23503
|Granby Municipal Building|
401 Monticello Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23510
|Norview Community Center|
6380 Sewells Point Road
Norfolk, VA 23513
|Old Dominion Fire Station|
1211 W 43rd Street
Norfolk, VA 23508
|Poplar Hall Drive Fire Station|
5909 Poplar Hall Drive
Norfolk, VA 23502
|Thole Street Fire Station|
115 Thole Street
Norfolk, VA 23505
About the Office
The Office of the Treasurer was established in 1869 by the Constitution of Virginia. The Treasurer is an elected official and serves a term of four years. Responsibilities and duties encompass all activities related to the receipt and collection of revenue, the safekeeping and investment of revenue, and an accurate accounting for and the disbursement of revenue.
Responsibilities & Goals
The legal authority for the Treasurer's duties and responsibilities is governed by the Constitution of Virginia, the Code of Virginia, Local Ordinances and charter provisions, case law, court decisions and opinions of the Attorney General.
It is our goal to provide an efficient and professional approach in serving the citizens of Norfolk, while maintaining an attitude of respect and understanding. You will receive prompt and courteous information and assistance. We are committed to strive for excellence.
- Questions concerning Real Estate Assessments may be directed to the Office of the Real Estate Assessor at 757-664-4732.
- Questions concerning Real Estate Tax Relief may be directed to the Department of Human Services at 757-823-1130.
- Questions concerning Personal Property Assessments may be directed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue at 757-664-7884.
- Questions concerning Business Tangible Personal Property Assessments, Admissions Tax, Lodging Tax, Short Term Rental Tax, and Meals Tax may be directed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue at 757-664-7886.
- Questions concerning Business and Professional Licenses may be directed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue at 757-664-7886.
- Questions concerning filing requirements and preparation of State Income Tax may be directed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue at 757-664-7885.