Athletics & Recreation Sports
Athletic programming is currently suspended due to COVID-19.
Athletic Leagues & Sports Instruction for All Ages
The Norfolk Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space's Division of Athletics and Recreational Sports operates from the Lakewood Athletic Office. Athletic leagues and sports instruction for youth and adults are offered in partnership with private athletic associations. Offerings vary by season, so check this website regularly or view the latest edition of Good Times, the quarterly magazine of the Norfolk Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space.
Call 757-664-6814 or text to 84483 for weather updates for the below sports:
- Adult Softball "ADUSOFTBALL"
- RBI Baseball and Softball "RBIBALL"
- Youth Basketball "YTHBBALL"
- Youth Football "YTHFOOTBALL"
- Youth Soccer "YTHSOC"
The Lakewood Athletic Office does not have teams but only assists individuals with finding athletic associations looking for players. You must be registered with a Recreation, Parks and Open Space Athletic Association to play in any city youth recreation league.
- Child can play on only one team, per sport, per season.
- Must be a Norfolk resident.
- Must meet all age and weight requirements (if applicable) as specified for the sport.
- Must possess a current Athletic and Recreation I.D.Card issued by the City of Norfolk.
- Beginning July 1, 2018, Athletic and Recreation I.D. Cards cost $20 each and are valid for one year from the date issued. Information will be made available at time of registration. Forms of payment included are check, money order, and VISA/MC credit/debit card. Cash is not accepted.
Additional registration fees as well as equipment and supply costs may apply and are determined by team's affiliate athletic association. For contact information for individual athletic associations or additional information about youth sports leagues, call the Lakewood Athletic Office at 757-441-5834 or 757-441-5835.
|Basketball||5 to 17||January through March|
|Football||5 to 14||August through November|
|Indoor Soccer||5 to 17||November through December|
|Outdoor Soccer||5 to 17||March through May|
|RBI Baseball (PDF)||5 to 15||May through July|
|RBI Softball (PDF)||8 to 12||May through July|
Enjoy fun, yet competitive sports play designed for the athlete, former athlete, aspiring athlete or the not-so-athletic. Different leagues offer varying levels of competition. All leagues are open to ages 18 and older.
To join a team, call the Lakewood Athletic Office at 757-441-5834 or 5835 for assistance.