FOG - "Fats, Oils & Grease - Can it!"
FOG in the sanitary sewer will solidify and build up over time, eventually causing the sewer to overflow into the street, your yard, or even your home. It is important that everyone make every effort to keep FOG from going down the drain.
Keeping our drains fat free is as easy as 1-2-3!
- Can the Grease: Pour used cooking grease into an empty, heat safe container, such as a soup can, and store it in the freezer. Once solidified, toss the can into the garbage.
- Scrape Your Plate: Wipe all pots, pans, dishes, and cooking utensils with a paper towel prior to washing to absorb the grease.
- Catch the Scraps: Eliminate using the garbage disposal. Catch food scraps in your sink with a basket or strainer and toss them into the trash or compost bin.
Residentially-Generated Fryer Oil Disposal
- Turkey Frying Fact Sheet
- (Limit disposal up to five gallons of liquid or 75 pounds of solid waste per visit) is collected at the SPSA's Norfolk Transfer Station, 3136 Woodland Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23504.
Tuesday & Saturday from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
For additional information click here or call SPSA: 757-961-3981 or Norfolk Cares: 757-664-6510.
Food Service Establishments (FSE's) Customers
The City of Norfolk has a program designed to partner with FSE's to help ensure Grease Control Devices are in place and properly maintained. FSE are required to:
- Register all GCDs (traps and interceptors) with the City of Norfolk Dept. of Utilities Water Quality FOG Program Manager.
- Have at least one employee become certified/maintain Best Management Practice (BMP) Certification.
- Keep all GCD/Yellow Grease Container cleaning and disposal logs onsite for at least 3 years.
The following links offer additional information on the FOG program, registration, certification, maintenance and cleaning/disposal logs.
Best Management Practices
- City of Norfolk FOG Program Information (PDF)
- City of Norfolk FOG Ordinance Chapter 39.1 (PDF)
- No Grease Sign (PDF)
- HRPDC Kitchen BMP Sign (PDF)
- AskHRGreen FSE Webpage
- AskHRGreen Grease BMP Brochure (PDF)
GCD Sizing & Registration
- HRRTS Sizing of GCDs Document
- City of Norfolk GCD Registration Form
- Standard Details of precast concrete GCD
Note: Documents available in Chinese and Spanish by request.
- FOG Certification Site – Certify FSE & Individual Employees Responsible for GCD
- HRPDC Grease Interceptor Maintenance Guide (PDF)
- AskHRGreen GCD Cleaning Guide
- City of Norfolk Grease Control Device Cleaning Log
- City of Norfolk Yellow (Fryer) Grease Disposal Log
Grease Control Device (GCD) Cleaning Tutorial
- View an informational video about cleaning and maintaining your Grease Control Device (GCD).
Thank you for keeping Norfolk sewers grease free!
Find out more information about Norfolk’s FOG Program by contacting us:
Phone: 757-441-5678 ext. 229
Mail: City of Norfolk, 6040 Waterworks Rd., Norfolk, VA 23502
24 HR Water & Sewer Emergency #757-823-1000
To request a presentation, brochures, posters, fight the fat lids, sink strainers or other public information services, please call 757-664-6730 or email email@example.com.
All website materials may be printed or electronically distributed for use under the following conditions:The content is used for informational and non-commercial purposes only.The content is not modified.Any other use of the materials on this website without written permission from the Department of Utilities is strictly prohibited.