Permitting: Online Applications /Other Forms

Available since March 2016:

Online permitting and payment. Register, apply, pay for, and print permits at PermitCity. Online permits are issued around the clock to better serve you. Permits Available Online 24/7 (around the clock) from PermitCity
Permits Available:  PermitCity Permit Types

Note: A convenience fee of 3.25 % is charged for online permit payments by Official Payments in exchange for offering this feature in online permitting. The City of Norfolk does not receive any portion of the convenience fee. If you do not wish to pay this fee, please call 757-664-6510 and ask to pay by credit card over the phone (someone will call you for payment). 

Note: Permits are available by applying online.  

Don’t need a permit from ROWM. Click here for a building, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing permit: 

Here is what you need to know.  You will always need the following to get a sign off for a building permit:
  1. An address signed off by 
  2.  Register, apply, pay for, and print permits at PermitCity
  3. A ROW permit ( for Excavation and installation)  Apply at PermitCity.
  4. A Closure permit (you can’t cut the street or sidewalk without closing the sidewalk, lane or street;  Apply at PermitCIty
  5. A Driveway Entrance permit (if installing a new apron entrance; you can’t add on to an existing apron either) Apply at PermitCity  Note: If you are expanding the footprint of an existing driveway (parking area), a Zoning Certificate or sign off is required. 
  6. A tree permit from RPOS (if you are working near City trees while doing the driveway work; please read all of it)
  7. A bond, letter of credit, or check to cover 100% of the cost of all right of way work and any storm water work whether in the right of way or on private property. ( Click on "Bond Information" below for details). That estimate must be submitted to for review and approval. Bond Information: 
  8. A copy of the bond should be attached to your application in PermitCity and the actual bond should be mailed to the address listed on the form.
Details follow below.


Need an Address for a new developments, parcels, subdivision, lots (attach building permit application form (PDF), and approved site plan)? Questions? Call Dave Vachet at 757-664-4671.

Bond Information

ROWM Inspections 

Contact the ROWM Inspector listed on your permit. Names,e-mail, and phone numbers are included here for quick reference:

Don’t need a ROWM Inspection?  Click here to request/schedule building permit inspections: 

Hauling Permits

  • Oversize
  • Over Weight
  • Over Height

Requires (see application for full requirements):

ROW Excavation/Installation Permit Application

  • Cutting into the right-of-way
  • Street and major utility construction
  • Installing item/object in right-of-way (water, sewer, storm, power, gas, conduit, fiber, etc.)
  • Paving
  • Test holes
  • Test pits
  • Dirt cuts
  • Plumber’s cuts
  • Construction fence
  • In accordance with the ROW Excavation and Restoration Manual (PDF)

Requires (see application for full requirements):

Closure Permit Application

Driveway Entrance Permit Application

  • Residential apron (up to 20 feet)
  • Note: Residents wishing to extend the length of their existing driveways need approval from Planning, Zoning first.
  • Note: Residents wishing to expand or add an additional driveway need to submit a survey with a request to Planning, Zoning first.
  • Commercial (up to 30 feet or as approved on site plan)
  • Construction Entrance
  • In accordance with the ROW Excavation and Restoration Manual (PDF)

General Use Permit Application

  • Temporary Parking (reserve spaces)
  • Temporary Dumpster in the right of way
  • Portable Storage Unit in the right of way  (Tractor-trailers (any portion of them) are not permitted per City Code section 25-293
  • Lift (temporary parking)
  • SPECIAL NOTICE regarding "GENERAL" permits for moving, portable storage, and temporary parking: Please contact the ROW Inspector listed on your permit at least 48 hours prior to storage unit arrival, move, and/or parking usage so that "No Stopping" signs can be installed to reserve parking spaces for the unit or move. If you don't call the Inspector and signs are not installed, vehicles cannot be towed to accommodate your use.

Other Forms


Light Rail Track Access Permit Application


Roadway Travel Exception Permit Application


Roadway Solicitation Permit Application

Requires (nothing):

  • Permits are no longer required.
  • Judge Fulton declared the City's code requirement for a permit to solicit in the streets as a violation of the Constitution. The City Attorney is reviewing and may come back with an updated City code. For now, you do not need a permit to solicit in the streets. 

Tree Permit Application

 Requires (see application for full requirements):

Block Party/Special Event Application

  • Application (processed by Special Events)