Recreation, Parks & Open Space
Rec N' Roll Mobile Tour
Parents! Are you looking for FREE outdoor summer activities for your children, ages 5 to 12? Register your child for the Rec N' Roll Mobile Tour, on select Wednesdays, July 7 - August 11. Children will enjoy ultimate frisbee, soccer, kickball, crafts and more at select Norfolk parks.
The Norfolk Fitness & Wellness Center is currently closed. The air conditioning system is currently down and under repair. Check back for additional updates.
Norfolk Beaches - Summer Update
Lifeguards begin duty on Saturday, May 29, through Labor Day weekend. Hours are 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily. Norfolk lifeguards are stationed at the following city park beaches:
Community Beach Park
700 E. Ocean View Avenue
Sarah Constant Beach Park
300 W. Ocean View Avenue
Ocean View Beach Park
100 W. Ocean View Avenue
Parking is free at all three locations.
Norfolk lifeguards want you to be safe this summer and provide these reminders:
- Swim near a lifeguard and never swim alone or at night.
- Stay off rock jetties and away from drainage pipes.
- No dogs or pets allowed on Norfolk Beaches 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily.
- Open alcohol containers and glass objects are illegal.
- Never swim during electrical storms.
- Always watch your children in and around water. Designate an adult water watcher as it ONLY takes 30-60 seconds to drown.
- Know current water and weather conditions.
- Please dispose of you trash in beach receptacles.
- Be courteous of those around you on the beaches, NO loud music.
- Listen for whistles and follow the directions of Norfolk Lifeguards and Police.
- CALL 911 FOR EMERGENCIES.
Indoor pools are open Mondays - Thursdays, effective Saturday, May 29, through Labor Day Weekend. Pools are closed on Monday, May 31.
The following recreation centers and indoor pools are open, effective March 1.
- Huntersville Community Center
- Lambert's Point Community Center
- Berkley Community Center
- East Ocean View Community Center
- Norview Community Center
- Norfolk Fitness and Wellness Center
- Southside Aquatics Center
- Huntersville Pool
- Northside Pool
- Face masks are REQUIRED in all RPOS facilities and offices.
- Playgrounds, basketball courts and picnic shelters are open but they are not sanitized or disinfected. Stay Healthy! Practice good hygiene & hand washing after use.
- Outdoor pools, and splash pads will remain closed until further notice.
- School parks will remain closed until further notice.
- City-wide boat ramps are open.
- Northside skate park, neighborhood parks and public tennis courts are open
Kayak Launch Update
- The Lavalette Kayak Launch has been removed due to water damage.
Norfolk’s Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space is proud to announce its national accreditation by the Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies. This ensures we will continue to provide quality recreational services that enrich the lives of Norfolk’s residents.
Virtual Activities - Downloads
Combine all of the sheets to create one poster.
- FY 2020 RPOS Annual Report (PDF)
- Overview of the Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space (RPOS) structure (PPT). Physical copies are available for public review at each department facility.